5 Easy Steps to Beautify Your Crawl Space Vents
Have you ever seen the outside of a home, and everything falls in place? What about those decorative pieces on the side of the home that help bring a sense of style and uniqueness to the overall appearance? Those decorative works are specially made crawl space vents that are designed to beautify the outside of the home.
Unlike conventional crawl space vents, which look like industrial grates, decorative crawl space vents from Beaux-Arts Classic Products feature stunning, historical designs that enhance the exterior of your home, rather than detract from it.
Replacing your crawl space vents is easy. Here’s what you need to know and why those vents are there in the first place.
What are crawl space vents?
Crawl space vents provide air circulation to help prevent the moisture and mold in crawl spaces. They are sometimes referred to as foundation vents, foundation vent covers or foundation return air grilles. Typically, these vent covers are added by contractors when the home is built. These plain metal crawl space covers are eyesores that wreak havoc on the outside aesthetics of the home.
Can you get rid of the vents entirely? No, not usually – you don’t want that moisture building up in the crawl space. But you can do a few things to make these crawl space vents look like a beautiful part of the home.
Why would you want to upgrade your crawl space vents?
There are a few reasons that go beyond aesthetics. First, the builder-grade crawl space vents are cheaply made and can lose their functionality over the years. Additionally, you want the right coverage to withstand fluctuating temperatures all throughout the year.
There’s definitely something to be said about curb appeal, and the crawl space vents are no exception. Consider the outside of your home – would you want a vent to clash with the color of your home or the beautiful landscaping? Having custom crawl space vents that match your exterior helps elevate the look of your home.
What types of styles do crawl space vents come in?
Transforming your crawl space vents is simple when you use Beaux-Arts Classic Products. There are many different, beautiful styles in an array of finishes ranging from pewter to umber gold. The styles are also wide-ranging, from Craftsman to historical-based selections. Every choice caters to personal style and taste to ensure the home has its own character.
When you’re ready to upgrade your crawl space vents, you may need a few supplies:
- Putty knife or chisel
- Wire brush
- Adhesive caulk
- Installation hardware provided with your replacement crawl space vent
Here’s how to replace the crawl space vents:
- Remove the existing vent by pulling the foundation’s vents out of the hole. Some can be simply unscrewed, though there may be caulk or other types of sealant around the edges. If sealant or mortar is preventing the vent from being removed, try using a putty knife or chisel to scrape it loose.
- Pull the vent from the center. You may have to scrape away sealant or mortar from the inside as well.
- Brush the inside with a wire brush to remove all mortar or sealant.
- When getting ready to install, follow the instructions included with your crawl space vents. Usually, you’ll need to add adhesive caulk to the back of the Base-Frame. This provides a water seal to prevent rain water from going into your crawl space, plus it will help secure the Base-Frame to the foundation for years to come.
- Once the Base-Frame is secured, you simply attach the vent cover to it with the included hardware. (In winter months, you may also Plug Plate to block cold air from entering the crawl space. For other seasons, you can use the Fiberglass Screen Plate for ventilation on purposes.)
When purchasing from Beaux-Arts, your vent cover will come with full instructions to guide you through it, step by step, and ensure it is level and secured by the bolts included with your vent. But rest assured, the entire process is simple and quick – and you’re going to love the results!
Browse our beautiful crawl space covers
Beautifying your crawl space vents is a quick and simple way to enhance the outside of the home. Browse our selection at Beaux-Arts Classic Products to find the perfect foundation cover for your home, as well as other stunning vent covers for your interior as well.
Comments are closed